Sunday, March 22, 2009

Clean(er) air?


Clouds over Santiago, originally uploaded by LeJyBy.

Via a TED talk (http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/490), I discovered the concept of improving one's air via the adequate set of plants. I remember Tim Ferris talking about the "Oxygen room" of his house, but it was not clear how to apply it to one's self. It touched me since I have been complaining about the quality of the air in Santiago ever since I got there. I am still not sure it is the main reason I feel always tired and have regular headaches, but at least it is a likely candidate.

I find the claim (read more details on http://greenspaces.in/blog/ted09/) that three types of plants, a bit more than 4+8+? plant individuals per human individual (they are vague on the details) are sufficient to breath in an hermetic environment quite suspicious, but in any case increasing the level of oxygen would indeed be e good idea.

Should I go and buy those plants or their equivalent, I would want to measure the level of oxygen to check on the real effect of those plants. I would want to measure the oxygen levels for one month even before starting to add plants. Turn out an oxygen meter is roughly $500 (http://www.control3.com/4320p.htm), quite a huge investment.

No comments: